[olug] HTTPD vhosts

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Mon Dec 31 18:33:50 UTC 2012

What happens if you put a "ServerName" line in your "main" server
definition (i.e. outside the virtual hosts)?  The comments on my
httpd.conf have this to say:

# The directives in this section set up the values used by the 'main'
# server, which responds to any requests that aren't handled by a
# <VirtualHost> definition.  These values also provide defaults for
# any <VirtualHost> containers you may define later in the file.
#
# All of these directives may appear inside <VirtualHost> containers,
# in which case these default settings will be overridden for the
# virtual host being defined.

and

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
#ServerName www.example.com:80