[olug] Remote access

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Thu Dec 20 20:03:24 UTC 2012

VNC is wildly insecure on its own -- but -- the SSH protocol allows for
carrying traffic that runs a given port.  I think the kids these days
call it "SSH tunneling". In other words, you could set up your firewall
to not allow outside access to port 5900, just to SSH; but then you
could configure your SSH client to grab port 5900 traffic for you, so
the VNC would ride the SSH connection, all nice and secure.