[olug] Network Mapping

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Sat Dec 8 01:25:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Justin Reiners <justin at hotlinesinc.com> wrote:
> are there any good open source network mappers out there that diagram as
> well? I have been using the dude, but I am looking for something I can run
> on a linux box (or windows) and has a wee bit more features. I figured
> someone out there has been tasked to do this, Boss wants to Plot out about
> 300 servers/workstations. Dont feel like doing it in visio (eek)

The best Open Source tool I know of for this is NetDisco
(http://www.netdisco.org/); in fact, it's one of the better tools for
this, period, IMO.

At a minimum, you'll have to configure SNMP on all your network
devices, if it isn't yet.  Better yet would be to configure it on your
servers, too, although this isn't required (depending on your needs).
That would give you additional information for monitoring in other
SNMP-aware tools, too.

I've heard good things from a friend about a tool called Network
Administration Visualized (https://launchpad.net/nav), but I haven't
used it myself.  I remember him mentioning that it could do some
network mapping, though.

Heavier-weight options that provide some support for network mapping
are Zabbix and Zenoss.

--
Christopher