[olug] [OT] Buying Cat5 cable locally...best price?

Noel Leistad noel at metc.net
Tue Aug 7 20:06:39 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 02:03 PM, T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> IPTV and streaming high def movies are a reason for wired connections over
> 802.11n.
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>
>>> And everyone that I've talked to about this has questioned why I even ran
>>> cable in the first place.  The average homeowner (present list company
>>> excluded) seem to be just fine with the 802.11b/g/n solutions.
>> <sigh>  I suppose most people don't move stuff around between computers
>> inside their own house, do they?
>>
>>> Nope, it'll be the next homeowners problem then. :)
>>> At least I was nice and ran a 1.5" PVC pipe up a central wall from the
>>> basement to the attic.  Re-pulling the cable will be much easier for
>> them.
>>
>> I'm designing a new house now, in which I plan to grow old & die.
>> Future-proofing is everything, which is why I intend to run two
>> large (4" preferred) PVC conduits from basement to attic in opposite
>> corners of the house.  It'll have at least two cat6 runs to every
>> room, just in case.
>>
>> I'm tired of my current practice of trotting down to the basement
>> with the laptop every time I want to run a backup to my central
>> server, just because doing so over the air takes 10x as long.
>>
>> And then there's the high def media / DLNA servers that I'll probably
>> have before long...
>>
>> --
>> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com
>>    The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>>      Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>>        promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

Exactly. Our company currently installing IPTV over FTTH or VDSL, the
"copper" install can be a significant challenge. I've got co-workers
that even insist  the networking run thru separate wall cavities so no
bleed from any AC lines...., isolated joist and rafter runs too.

AND, (embarrassing confession follows), don't try getting neat between
the studs w/ the stapler.... My, oh my, I was so proud of how it
looked....and I didn't even compromise any of that silly CAT3 wire in
the process....  can't re-pull anything 17 years later..... :-(

Same goes for the RG-6 I thought would be nice for TV in every room