[olug] Reccomended Reads

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Aug 6 14:50:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Abraham <muteki.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently reading "Mastering EJB by Ed Roman" and "The Pragmatic
> Programmer" in the "Programming/Development" category.

*The Pragmatic Programmer* (Andrew Hunt and Dave Thomas) is another
excellent book, along with Steve McConnell's *Code Complete: A Practical
Handbook of Software Construction*.  Both books step back from the "how to
program in language foo" type of book, and concentrate on processes,
techniques, best practices, and development strategies.  They're books that
will take you from being a "programmer" to being a "software engineer".

I strongly considered listing both of them, and would have if the list
weren't already so long. ;-)

I particularly like that they're language and programming style agnostic to
a large extent.  I'm a big fan of books that can apply across multiple
disciplines, hence the fact that most of the books I listed aren't
language/technology specific, with the exception of some C and Perl stuff
(those two get a pass because I feel they're useful enough in a *nix
environment to warrant it).

--
Christopher