[olug] Looking for some svn help

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Wed Apr 25 23:35:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Adam Haeder <adam at adamhaeder.com> wrote:
> > We've been using svn internally here for a few years, and while we're
> > mostly happy with it, we don't feel that we're really taking advantage of
> > everything that it can do. Also, we've lately been running into a few
> > strange errors and maybe some non-standard situations that we'd like some
> > help figuring out. Any svn gurus out there that we can take to lunch and
> > pepper with questions for an hour? My devs are good about figuring things
> > out for themselves, but the svn redbook documentation is a little bit of
> > black hole, and we feel it would be time better spent if we could just
> quiz
> > an expert. And yes, we're aware of git and the fact that it is made of
> pure
> > bacon-flavored awesome sauce, but at the moment we're going to stick with
> > svn. Thanks for any help
> >
> > --
> > Adam Haeder
> > adam at adamhaeder.com

While I wouldn't consider myself a guru with svn (far from it) , we've been
using it since pre 1.0 and have been satisfied.   Are there specific
situations that you've run into that weren't already answered on
stackoverflow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/svn or the svn list
valuable resources.

**side note**
And for anyone else who wants to chime in with "Switch to X", it is not
always that simple.  Unless you can justify the ROI on switching X for
non-trivial  projects "switch to x" is a non-starter.  If you are a one man
show than switching vcs's might be akin to changing socks, in more complex
environments there are frequently more factors to consider.  As a starting
point, if you can't demonstrate a minimum of 10x improvement, I am not
interested.  10x is the bare minimum to cover logistical expenses of
migration and retraining.

--
Best,

Jeff Hinrichs