[olug] Custom building desktop

Matthew Platte carnivore.csa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:54:55 UTC 2012

On 04/16/2012 04:05 PM, Greg Gerke wrote:
> For a case like this, with an older non-tech savvy person I'd actually be
> leaning towards keeping her with what she already knows and perhaps just
> upgrade the hardware... unless you're planning on being the full time tech
> support. ;)

Since we're playing "what if", I'll just ask: how much of "what she
already knows" does she actually already know?

I'm predicting that her knowledge is sufficiently minimal that changing
the OS and desktop will not significantly increase the confusion.

Especially if she's already using Thunderbird/Firefox then she would
already have observed that none of her software is static; that it's
always changing, especially over in Blogger/Googleland where, once
again, some jackhat decided that Javascript everywhere is far, far
preferable to a browser back button that actually works.

... But perhaps I've slipped into another, unrelated rant....

--
ಠ,ಠ