[olug] quick informal poll

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Apr 16 16:49:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Sam Flint <harmonicnm7h at gmail.com> wrote:
> i can't decide if i want to use centos or fedora on a new server, what
> do you all suggest?
> and don't visit the site in my sig, it's not setup yet

If you're going to use an RPM based distribution, use CentOS.  CentOS
is a simple repackaging of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and
therefor designed and intended for use as a Server.  Fedora is
basically a hodge-podge continual beta that Red Hat and the Linux
community co-maintain, which Red Hat (eventually, after a decent
number of changes and a lot of cleanup) uses as the base for RHEL.  It
is not consistent between releases, has a poor upgrade path, limited
bug and security support for non-current releases, etc.

Fedora is a reasonable choice if you want an RPM based desktop.  I
would never put it on a server.

--
Christopher