[olug] Commodore OS Vision

Greg Gerke ggerke at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:03:13 UTC 2012

I took it for a test spin on a virtual machine a while back... it
wasn't for me. In my mind it was a mix of hoping/expecting something
roughly like AmigaDOS (if you had an Amiga back in the day you know
what it was like) and the UI was just a bit too much on the too many
bells & whistles and not enough actual usefulness. But of course -
your mileage may vary.

Since it was in a virtual machine it was no harm, no foul. I do
remember when I set it up it was fairly greedy for RAM though. With
other distros I could allocate maybe 768mb to take it for a quick test
spin this one seemed to want to take about 1.5gb of RAM to run.

Commodore actually has new hardware out as well. It looks nice enough
and seems to have the right parts for the different models (although
it's too expensive in my mind), if you're looking forward to using an
incarnation of AmigaDOS you're gonna be bummed. The company seems to
be trying to cash in on a nostalgia wave by putting the name "Amiga"
on a machine. Granted, coming out with an updated AmigaDOS that would
keep up with a current OS's on the market at this stage of the game
would be a huge money pit and not really practical, thus the tricked
out UI laying on top of Linux Mint release.

Dang, now I'm in the mood for AmigaDOS. Where'd I pack that A1000? ;)