[olug] Docsis 2 vs 3 on Cox

Ben Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:46:39 UTC 2012

I imagine that the COX infrastructure at large has been upgraded to
the DOCSIS 3.0 spec.  And really, it is their best interest as it give
them more bandwidth allowing for a larger customer base.  Upgrading
your individual modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 capable device will certainly
technically allow you to have access to more bandwidth, but what it
really boils down to is how much COX will allocate to you.  For
example, I'm pretty certain that I'm on COX's "regular" or
middle-of-the-road tier and that I have a DOCSIS 2.0 device.  DOCSIS
2.0 supports about 48 Mb/s downstream, but I rarely get that speed
(aside from an occasional "Speed Boost" that COX trumpets).
Therefore, I'm really only getting a fraction of what's technically
possible such that COX can over provision their bandwidth more
efficiently and get more customers.