[olug] Windows 8

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Wed Sep 28 16:03:12 UTC 2011

Some very good points here, plus I hadn't heard about the Secure UEFI yet, that does not sound good!

I agree with you on the UI front, this is MY computer, I should get to choose which UI I see at bootup, regardless if I am a home user or a business user.

I'm guessing their claim that 'Windows 8 tablets will be the first tablets that run all your desktop
software' refers only to newer software written with Metro UI in mind.  But I can only imagine what the performance is going to be on those ARM powered devices.

The one thing we as techies have to keep in mind is that only represent 1% or less of the total market.  MS needs to cater to the other 99%.  With that mind, the ability to reset your computer to factor conditions easily and retain your data, and your new Metro Style apps will be great for the standard end user.  It's a long term money saver for them.  Right now if they get infected with a virus, they either just live with it, or they have to pay someone to help them remove it.  The ability to wipe the machine, yet save their settings, data and programs is awesome for them.

---- "T. J. Brumfield" <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote: 
I don't like that you won't be able to dual-boot on an OEM machine (this is
technically up to the OEM's to decide to put in a BIOS option to disable
Secure UEFI boot, but don't count on it). I don't like that the application
switcher is gone. I don't like that I have to boot to a tablet interface on
a desktop, even if it is only a momentary delay to then load the "Desktop"

It looks pretty, but Microsoft with each subsequent release takes the same
tasks and makes them more difficult. I don't care if the UI looks better. If
I need to jump through extra hoops to perform the same task, then it is a UI

I did really enjoy Aero Snap and Aero Peek in 7, but I don't see UI wins
like those in 8 yet. I want to play with it hands on, but I don't see a
compelling reason to run it yet.

And I am confused by Microsoft claiming:

1 - That their tablets will run on ARM
2 - That there will be no emulation layer to allow x86 code to run on ARM
3 - Windows 8 tablets will be the first tablets that run all your desktop

Somehow that doesn't add up. The same thing with the claim they've made that
you can "reset" your computer that will keep your documents, settings and
applications. In reality, your apps are all wiped, and then it reinstalls
apps purchased from the new Windows App Store. Between these two claims, I
wonder if Microsoft is somewhat saying "screw all legacy apps. The future is
with HTML5/Tile apps in the Windows App Store."

Isn't that a bit insane, wiping away most people's reasons to stay with

-- T. J.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:07 PM, ned mcnally <ned.mcnally at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this is a Linux group, but what do you guys think so far about
> Windows 8?
> _______________________________________________
> OLUG mailing list
> OLUG at olug.org
> https://lists.olug.org/mailman/listinfo/olug
OLUG mailing list
OLUG at olug.org

More information about the OLUG mailing list