[olug] Domain Specific DNS / Interface Specific DNS

Jay Hannah jhannah at mutationgrid.com
Tue May 31 17:27:19 UTC 2011

On May 31, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Christopher Cashell wrote:
> Have all the machines configured to send their queries to a BIND
> server, and have that BIND server configured with different views
> based on the source of the DNS request.  If the request comes from
> group A, server up the appropriate response.  If the request comes
> from group B, serve up the alternate response.  This can also work if
> the DNS queries for PrivateDomain.com need to be looked up from an
> external server, using forwarder entries in the view.

Ya, this is how our 3 DNS servers provide both internal and external (Internet) DNS. If the request came from 10.* then the response says that the web server is at 10.10.123.144, but if the request came from the Internet then BIND responds with the real Internet IP. Etc.

Jay Hannah
Software Architect
jhannah at mutationgrid.com | http://mutationgrid.com | 1-402-598-7782