[olug] C++ compilers

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu May 19 07:13:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM, John Serafino <lzrblade at gmail.com> wrote:

> GCC. The Gnu Compiler Collection, can do C and C++ quite well, I've been
> able to recompile programs on windoze without changing a single line of
> code.
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Kelly Williams
> <kellywilliams81 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I want to start playing with programming what would a good cross platform
> > and C++ compiler.
> >
> > Kelly W

The language itself is fairly agnostic.  Underlying libraries (such as the C
runtime, etc) is where hiccups are bound to occur.

If you're on a linux box, gcc as a compiler collection is fairly standard
and acceptable.

Under Windows, Dev-C++ (devcpp ? dev-cpp? not sure what it goes by these
days, used to be by... bloodshed software?) is an integrated environment
wrapped around a version of gcc.  This should allow taking code from
linux/devc++ and it being able to work on either platform fairly easily (and
yes, it does C and C++).

There are other .... gcc-ish dev kits under windows as well.  Some insist on
more unixy path setup under windows and stuff which is a tad annoying.
 Maybe I don't want my windows box to have a c:\etc\ tree.

MacOSX is gcc by default.  Xcode and objective-C are a little unusual (from
a given stand point).  But you should be able to write your c/c++ programs
and have them compile like usual for the most part.

Under DOS, djgpp is also a port/version of gcc.

Beos has a gcc for it, etc.

-------

With all of that said, just to throw out another alternative to gcc stuff --
open watcom.

-------

Your fun will become when you want to do stuff like, create a window with
some buttons and other stuff on it.  Then the headaches begin :).

Simple text / command line -- that's fairly system independent.  Graphical
stuff not so much.

-------

-Will