[olug] Android phone backup question

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri May 13 20:49:29 UTC 2011

I haven't had much luck with two-piece phones/pagers (clam-shell hinge
breaking, etc).  I'm finding that I really like the Swype feature for
typing, so the lack of a physical keyboard wasn't a problem.

My wife moved from a slider w/keyboard to the Droid X and she really likes
it (she was afraid she'd miss the keyboard, but hasn't). I think she likes
Swype a lot too.

The deciding factor wasn't the phone as much as the carrier.  I had been
with Spring since mid 1990's and couldn't really complain (except "lost
signal" in my kitchen most of the time).  I would have gone for the Sprint
EVO 4G but after doing a total cost analysis, we're going to save more money
by going with Verizon.  The big break point was that Verizon has good
coverage where we go, and they have their "Home Phone Connect" which we can
add for an additional $10/month for the home (BIG savings over the Cox phone
line right now).

Dan