[olug] Any Skype users?

jman at miwire.com jman at miwire.com
Tue May 10 14:20:26 UTC 2011

   I wonder how things are delt with if/when there are 90% skype users???
   Monopoly laws to change? Microsoft the "new" 800lb gorilla.....again.

   T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote ..

I suspect the issue many people will find, is that like Facebook, Skype
benefits from having a large network of established users. And even if
people aren't particularly thrilled with the product, they stick with it
because everyone else uses it.

Other programs are only useful is the other party you want to talk to also
uses that program.

Microsoft has supported more multi-platform products in recent years. And it
would be a massive mistake for Skype to suddenly drop all their users who
use Skype on non-Windows platforms. I suspect Microsoft will want to push
Skype-Kinect integration, and Skype-Live Messenger integration, as well as
Skype-Office Communicator integration for enterprise environments.

But dropping users hurts the value of the network overall.