[olug] OT: Google Apps for Domains

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri May 6 01:17:14 UTC 2011

For anyone who's been thinking about setting up Google Apps for
Domains for personal use, now would be a good time to do it.
Currently, you get up to 50 users at no cost.  Starting May 10th, that
drops to 10 users.  If you want additional, you have to move to the
business service at $50 per user, per year.

For those not familiar with Google Apps, it allows you to setup Google
Applications (Gmail, Google Docs, Sites, Calendar, Reader, GTalk, etc)
under your own domain name.  You have full management ability to add
and remove users, choose which services are available, etc.  All in
all, pretty slick.

I started using it a couple of years ago, when I had a hardware
failure in my personal mail server.  My original intention was to just
use it for a few days, maybe a week or two, until I got the server
fixed.  However, two weeks later, I had my new server, got it
installed, and realized that "outsourcing" the e-mail was pretty
convenient.  I decided to try it out a little longer, and I'm still
using it.

For anyone who's interested, the URL to sign up is: http://www.google.com/apps/

--
Christopher