[olug] The Usability of Passwords

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Wed Mar 30 22:12:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> >> I was a BOFH before I ever read The Reg....
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/
>
> BOFH predates the world wide web, never mind the Register.
>
> > Congratulations?  No offense, but had I been the VP of Sales you
> mentioned,
> > it would have been you that had the bad day.  Requiring a policy where
> the
> > only to remember the password is a post-it note, is a sign of a problem,
> > that lies NOT with the user.
>
> And not necessarily with the sysadmin, either.  At the hospital, if a
> VP came down to complain about the password policy, we'd just wave the
> HIPPA banner in their face & they'd back down.  Compared to jail time,
> having to reset your password really isn't all that painful.  Please
> remember the potential consequences of a security breach before you
> complain too loudly.  If it was *your* identity that got stolen because
> somebody else let a hacker in, you'd want their head on a platter.

You're right - I'm not debating whether a password policy should / should
not be enforced.  I'm simply debating whether requiring password changes
every 30 days, requiring special characters, etc, actually _improves_
security against threats versus something like locking accounts, or delaying
like the article mentions.

> > I am genuinely curious - for other admins on the list - given a lock out
> > scenario / delayed re-attempts (as noted in the original article) - how
> > _drastically_ important is the overly complex password scheme?
>
> Long password length (provided it doesn't fail a simple dictionary test)
> is more important than password complexity.  Using an entire line from
> my favorite song (which no longer gets any air play) is much more secure
> than six random characters, and it's a heck of a lot easier for me to
> remember.  The problem here is that too many brain dead web sites actually
> cap your password length in the single digit range, or prohibit you from
> using punctuation, or...
>
> > Even the
> > password change scheme?  What makes a reasonably complex password (like
> > oranges75) go bad after 30 days?
>
> Why expire after 30 days?  Because social engineering is still the #1
> method for obtaining somebody's password.  I can generate the world's
> most secure password by having my cat jump on my keyboard for 30 seconds,
> but that won't matter if I willingly tell that password to the first
> caller who claims to work for my company's I.T. dept.

Social engineering is going to break any system no matter the timeframe.
 That assumes the person calling is going to wait to use the password, which
I would say is extremely unlikely.  I can see the need to change a password
_periodically_, but every 30 days will likely force users into using a
pattern, and if blocked, using other means (ie, writing it down, password
manager, etc) which doesn't help.