[olug] Home file server - FreeNAS or Openfiler or ???

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 17:11:59 UTC 2011

I have a FreeNAS setup at home and couldn't be more happy with it.
Though I've not run into expanding my existing 2TB raid5 setup just
yet (mine is a HW limitation of the raid controller more than anything
else).

With respect to LVM, I've used it to add space before.  What I would
highly recommend is grabbing a copy of VMWare Player (or your favorite
virtualization software) and installing something that uses LVM by
default (e.g. Fedora) and experimenting.  In my particular case, I had
a Fedora VM for some development and went with a default 8GB virtual
hard disk.  After installing Fedora, updating, and installing some
software, I ran into problems installing Oracle XE (insufficient disk
space).  This is where LVM came in handy.  I explored powering down
the VM and merely allocating more space to the existing virtual HDD,
as well as adding another new virtual HDD.  Googling LVM and playing
around and I was in business.  Again, practice with virtual stuff that
you don't care about, document your steps, and then when you feel
comfortable, try it on real hardware.

Ben