[olug] Distro X?

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:49:40 UTC 2011

You're free to do what you want. I hope you enjoy the journey, but overall I
think more people will gain if you continued to make contributions to larger
distro (like Arch).

SUSE Studio makes it almost trivial to roll your own distro. And if you
really want to build on a non-Suse base, you can still use the openSUSE
Build Service to build custom packages on top of a Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu,
or Mandriva core.

Personally, with Yast, openSUSE Build Service, and SUSE Studio, you already
have a distro that offers tons of choice. They offer four official desktops,
that are all polished, in their main repositories, and get equal love. You
can work with official releases every 8 months, or go rolling release with
Tumbleweed.

openSUSE is extremely stable, they contribute more code upstream than
anybody on the planet (perhaps except for Fedora/Red Hat). And if you want
bleeding edge, you can can weekly snapshot repositories for everything, or
individual components such as Gnome, KDE, Firefox, etc.

They offer a "core" install without a UI. They offer a network install. You
can install from Windows. You can do a thin-client install with the Linux
Terminal Server Project.

Instead of rolling a completely new distro from scratch, what if you
contributed to the openSUSE community with scripts to further customize the
install, or rebuild as you see fit? What if the scripts made it trivial for
people to recompile and rebuild using the openSUSE build service?

-- T. J.