[olug] Nagios - Contact Groups

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Fri Mar 11 22:33:27 UTC 2011

I'm new to configuring Nagios - but I have a basic setup working for our
environment.

I have 3 boxes I want to monitor, Dev, Test, and Prod.  I have defined
contact groups for each of the environments.  The hosts will (hopefully)
share definitions for what checks to perform (via NRPE).

My problem is notifications.  I set the contact group for each 'environment'
in the host section, but it doesn't get inherited to the service section.

How can I specify that I want the contact group for the host to be notified
in the event of a service failure, without having to specify all 3 contact
groups in the service entry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave