[olug] Video output plug question and other questions

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Thu Jun 16 02:14:22 UTC 2011

I picked up a Dell computer that has a video card in it that seems to
overrides the onboard video. There are two outputs, one is an S-Video,
the other looks like a DVI, but is only pins there is no bar part of
the plug. I looked up DVI and saw nothing that matched this plug. Does
anyone know what this is?

By the way I figured out the problem with my laptop, it was an
overheating chip in the drive controller, since it is built in, I need
to replace the motherboard. I haven't heard from one source yet, and
it looks like it is not readily available from many places.

I found a reasonably priced Acer, but have not been able to get
openSuSE to recognize the wireless network card. The problem I have
had is in determining the chip set in the Broadcom card that the
laptop uses.

Additionally the touch pad does not work correctly, but I have seen
that this is a known issue. I have not explored how this is corrected.
It looks like part of a kernel module needs to be adjusted, but that
is not something I have work on yet.

One thing I do know is that Windows 7 is not as useful, limiting
access to my printer, and blocking other programs that are 32 bit.
With Linux I had full access to everything I needed except one program
that did not have a parallel program in Linux.

Thanks for any information,

Tom Williamson