[olug] Atom systems on PCIE card

aric at omahax.com aric at omahax.com
Thu Jun 9 14:38:46 UTC 2011

I was concerned that the card slot might be proprietary and/or reverse sex
or something, if that makes sense.  It sort of reminds me of the old
Compaq remote insight lights out boards.

"This solution is the same price, just add memory and disk. Very compact.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101364"

That is what I was originally considering.  My only issue is that it wont
fit into the server and they will charge extra.  For example Joe's Data
Center would charge me an extra $15 a month to have the device.  This will
be a redundant colo so I am trying to be as frugal as possible but @ $180
a year it might not be worth the time to mess with.

"This looks like a way to make a poor man's blade server."
I was sort of thinking that too, they have older dual Xeon ones
http://www.ieiworld.com/product_groups/industrial/content.aspx?keyword=spcie-5100dx&gid=00001000010000000001&cid=08125382788155083144&id=09292670812378088792#

The poor mans blade server would be a used one off Ebay, they are cheap
and tempting.  I am betting your typical blade consumer doesn't shop Ebay
for used ones.