[olug] Computer Room Fire Suppression

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Jun 1 14:30:52 UTC 2011

We use water, but it's not because "we don't care" but:

a) Proper machine room fire suppression is very expensive.  If the cost
of the system approaches the cost of all the equipment in the machine
room it doesn't make much sense.  We're well past that point in
equipment, but I'd rather put money into a new air handler to increase
our capacity than fire suppression.

b) All the hoops we'd have to hop through to get certified to work
around fire suppression.  We'd like students to have access to the
machine room. That can become a logistical nightmare where proper fire
suppression is deployed.

The risk/cost analysis is not easy, please don't trivialize our choices
by saying we "don't care".

Carl Lundstedt
UNL