[olug] Tor could be all the more important

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Jul 29 16:15:30 UTC 2011

This is possible today with a warrant under CALEA.  However CALEA is
reactive 'sniffing' in that they have to produce a warrant and then
moving forward they can 'tap' your connection.  The proposed bill is a
bit different, they want to be able to pull historical information,
similar to phone records.

As it stands right now your ISP does not have to track customer IP
addresses in the past, unless there is an active warrant in place.  So
every night I can throw away the DHCP/PPPoE records and start fresh.  If
a government agency shows up wanting to know who is at IP x.x.x.x on day
Y I can say that I don't know, but if you have an active connection or a
name, and a warrant I can get you that information as of today.

As a general rule they are looking for one of two things.  They either
have an individual under investigation and they want to track where that
user is going.  Or they have a site under investigation and they want to
track an IP back to it's source.  I am not against either of these given
they have a warrant but  I would be pretty leery about standing up in a
court of law and definitively stating that user X had IP Y on date Z
going strictly off of historical logs.

As for not being worried because I have nothing to hide, that is all
fine and dandy if you trust the government, but in all honesty I don't
know how much I trust them, and that trust erodes every day.  And if
they can now go back in time what might have been 'legal' then may be
illegal now, while in a perfect world that may not matter, but in
reality I doubt they would make much distinction between now and then.