[olug] controlling Linux's assignments of sda, sdb, etc.

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Jul 27 14:08:23 UTC 2011

> This issue came up a few months back, and I don't know that any answer
> was confidently arrived at.  Let's say Linux arbitrarily starts changing
> your drive names, so that what was once sda is now sdb, your USB drive
> (formerly sdc) is now sda, and the like.  Is there any way to force
> Linux to assign sda only to one single drive, and never to any other drive?

That was me that complained about that, and I'm still haunted by it.
My problem is that, along with the drive letter switching, SNMP will
reorder the drives, so every time I reboot, I have to change the numbers
in my mrtg.cfg file to keep my graphs consistent.  I'd love to find a
pretty solution.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com