[olug] OT: i r stoopyd

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Thu Jul 21 16:04:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's keeping a cache of the headers, though... so... on start up you can
> still see a bunch of subject / from / etc.

Almost all e-mail clients that support IMAP do this.  If they don't
cache headers, they're forced to pull down the header information for
all of your e-mail every single time they connect to the mail server.
>From a user experience standpoint, this becomes a disaster as soon as
your mailbox has more than a few hundred e-mails in it, as there is a
serious delay between starting the application and being able to view
your mailbox.

If you really want it secured, I'd suggest doing what Dan Linder
mentioned, and setup a TrueCrypt volume (or other encrypted space).
Mount that, and put your Thunderbird profile/cache/etc there.  It'll
add an extra step before you can start your e-mail, but it'll lock
things down pretty well.  It'll also allow you to pull down and store
full e-mails safely, which will improve performance and give you an
additional e-mail backup in case of emergency.

Also, if security is a top concern, make sure you're using IMAPS.  GPG
wouldn't hurt, either (there's a good Thunderbird plugin in Enigmail
for it).

--
Christopher