[olug] CentOS 6.0

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Jul 11 15:42:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 09:50, Jon Larsen <jon at jonlarsen.us> wrote:

> I wonder if adding delta rpms contributed to the complexity of the build
> system.

I can't tell, nor do I believe anyone outside of their development team
knows...and that's a root problem from what I've seen.

I haven't asked to help directly (I just don't have the free time to give
back more than my ramp-up time would take), but from what I've read on many
blogs is that the few outsiders that do get into the development team were
completely baffled by the lack structure to the "system".

>From the outside, this anarchy seems to have been most visible during the
accidental hostage situation a year ago when a lead contributor went dark
and stopped working with the community (
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10300222-92.html).

I hope they can keep it up and automate the heck out of the build process.
 Since they don't have any major financial backers (that I know of), they
are always going to be cash strapped.  If they had an automated build
system, I'd donate many spare CPU cycles to do test builds if it were
possible.

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"