[olug] OT - Internet

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Jul 1 21:55:23 UTC 2011

As an ISP you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  On the one
hand for non-technical customers it is great as it helps with security,
on the other if it is too tight or the customer is doing odd/advanced
things you get complaints and support calls.

We went with the idea that if you have a static IP then you are wide
open to the internet (other than the standard MS virus ports, netbui et
al).  If you are not a static IP then you are nat translated at the
border router.