[olug] need linux

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 01:44:46 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 1/25/11, Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:
> Heh, sounds familiar.  When I was an undergrad in the
> early 90s, it was the physics profs that taught me all the
> practical know-how for computers (MS Word/Excel particularly
> come to mind) and math that I needed.

Word and Excel didn't exist yet when I was an undergrad. :-)

After I graduated on of the Math professors took undergrad Mechanics, basically Newtonian physics.  This Math prof (Heckler, Ph.D.) was totally immersed in the math proofs and all the stuffy crap.  The professor (Price, Ph.D.) that taught Mechanics was totally self taught in math.  I was SOOOO tempted to take it again as a grad student since it was offered as a dual course with grad students needing to do some extra work but the classroom stuff basically the same.  Just for the humor of a all.

Oh, and Price was my academic advisor and Heckler and I had more than one go around about the "proper" way to do advanced calculus.  Rigorous formal math ain't my thing.

Kevin D. Snodgrass