[olug] Security Appliance Suggestions?

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Jan 19 19:49:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Noel Leistad <noel at metc.net> wrote:
> Currently looking for a security appliance line to support at work...and
> play, employer's customers and my own. Usual need is VPN, site-to-site and
> road-warrior, mostly site-to-site, Firewall and all the rest of the features
> that get thrown in to the term "UTM".

Check out Vyatta's stuff.  They offer a "Vyatta Core" (Open Source,
community edition) version as a downloadable ISO, and they also offer
a commercial version with some additional add-on software and support
services.  Lastly, they also sell an appliance version with hardware
and software support, too.

It's Linux based, originally targetting the concept of an Open Source
Router, but due to the flexibility of Linux (and the market
direction), it has evolved into more of a Open Source Unified Network
Appliance, support feature sets for routers, firewall, VPN
concentrators, and IDS's.

They do a pretty good job of making the whole integrated set feel like
an appliance.  There's a single Command Line Interface that you can
use to configure almost everything, and you do still have the ability
to get to a shell for more advanced functionality.

Pretty cool stuff.  I'd definitely suggest giving it a good look.

Community Site: http://www.vyatta.org
Commercial Site: http://www.vyatta.com

--
Christopher