[olug] Security Appliance Suggestions?

Noel Leistad noel at metc.net
Wed Jan 19 15:44:45 UTC 2011

Currently looking for a security appliance line to support at work...and
play, employer's customers and my own. Usual need is VPN, site-to-site
and road-warrior, mostly site-to-site, Firewall and all the rest of the
features that get thrown in to the term "UTM".

Considering:

Astaro appliance and RED
d/l'd Untangle, but still and ISO, not a disk....
Sonicwall

peripherally, I'm aware of:

Fortinet
Netgear
Cisco (have switch & router gear, interface w/ some customer
convoluted-ly configured PIX or follow-on gear)

have used, and ruled out for support reasons (it'd be MOSTLY me):
IPCop, iptables
aware of Endian,

Would appreciate any thoughts.

I'm not seriously considering the Cisco option just from the turmoil
that follows it's software policies. I realize that sounds dumb as this
entire market-space is probably going to be "subscription" heavy, at
least appears to be as my eyes cross reading different websites.

Thanks

Noel