[olug] Tax Software Opinions

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Jan 18 15:11:16 UTC 2011

I'll echo what Dan said.  I've been using a smallish, well-respected
tax firm (Watts & Herschberger) in Lincoln ever since we got married
14 years ago.  Jim Watts is good friends with my wife's former boss
(a lawyer), so she was already on a first name basis with him when we
started seeing him.  Our tax situation is nontrivial thanks to various
investments & companies we have a share in, and Jim always does a great
job of organizing everything and finding breaks that I never would have
caught on my own.  My wife brings in a plate of home made cookies with
our packet of tax info every year, which I'm sure doesn't hurt.

I think last year (2009), our total tax burden (state + federal
combined) was only about 16% of our gross income.  The "standard" tax
rate for our bracket should be closer to 31%.  That kind of break,
combined with freeing up all the time I would have spent doing it
myself, is well worth the $400 he charges us.

BTW, if you're getting a tax refund every April, then you're screwing
yourself by giving the government a free, 0% interest loan from every
paycheck throughout the year.  A good tax guy will not only file last
year's taxes, but also plan the upcoming year for you to work it out
so you break even with no return & no payment.  Better yet, pay the
minimum throughout the year, save the extra in an interest-bearing
account, and then pay the principal in one lump sum in April.  Yes,
it's a big check, but you're coming out ahead in the long run because
you're keeping the interest you made.