[olug] March OLUG Meeting

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 02:27:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Jon Larsen <relayer at levania.org> wrote:
> Contact me off list if you can present at the March OLUG meeting.
>

> --
> Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
> Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/
> VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
> AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/
> GPG/PGP Pubkey - http://levania.org/relayer/relayerpubkey.txt

Jay Hannah (@deafferret on OmahaLUG) showed off screen irssi at an
odlug meeting.  i often would not use irc either because a client was
not installed, major security concerns with pidgin and other gui
clients, and searching for the right chat room in the right amount of
time.  Further, often the system i needed help with was the only
system i had and if had to logoff or reboot, the chat session would
have to be logged back into and hopefully someone did not just give
you a professional tip during that downtime.  screen and irssi on a
highly available system solves all of the above.  i could show off
screen commands, my configuration file (gotta remember to redact the
passwords) and 33 channels i stay up on.  Even though i have loved
screen for 20? or more years, i have a hard time getting the
keystrokes correct the first time and properly disconnecting and
reconnecting - so it would not hurt to review that as well.  In short,
getting screen irssi up and running took more time than i would have
thought, but doing so was well worth it.  Could be as little as 5
minutes or 30 minutes.