[olug] HTPC box

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 02:16:03 UTC 2011

I'm debating whether I need DVR functionality at all or not. I have DISH
network and a DVR with that. But I can add an additional DVR to the house by
dropping $50 on a tuner to the HTPC I'm building. Then again, I'm trying to
focus on a silent, low-power build. Linux compatibility for the hardware is
also a must. This is what I'm looking at currently:

BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
Motherboard<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283>
AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ADX255OCGMBOX
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103896>
SAPPHIRE 100292DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882>
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model
KVR1066D3N7/2G
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134751>
 Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136806>
APEX DM-317-A Black/ Silver Steel Micro ATX Media Center / Slim HTPC
Computer Case w/ ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154061>
Adesso ARC-1100 Vista Infrared Remote Control
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166095>

Total - $270. The retail Boxee box is $200, but is weaker hardware by far
and I really don't control it.

I might add a tuner (not sure which) or a BluRay drive, but I'm not sure I
need them. If I add a tuner, then I'm going to install MythBuntu, with Boxee
on top of it. If I don't use a tuner, I'll probably install openSUSE with
Boxee.

-- T. J.