[olug] Linux Compatible USB Wireless Adapters

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Fri Dec 30 14:26:59 UTC 2011

Ultimately I found a D-Link DWA-131 at a good price, and was going to
try the ndiswrapper. I went on line and found that D-Link provided a
Linux driver for it. When I plugged it in openSuSE had the driver and
it installed easily. Now getting the new router to work was another
problem, but it had nothing to do with Linux issues.

I am have heard about ndiswrapper, but the openSuSE site that has the
package seems to warn away from because of potential kernel changes
that may cause other failures. Is this really a problem, or is there
something else going on?

Thanks,

Tom

Quoting Sam Flint <harmonicnm7h at gmail.com>:

> Uh try ndiswrapper works well, used it on fedora before
>
> -- Sam Flint,
> Have a happy Hannukah!
> On Dec 17, 2011 10:37 AM, "Thomas D. Williamson" <twilliam at inebraska.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am looking to upgrade my wireless network and need to set up one box
>> with a USB  adapter. I am planning to go to a 300 or 600 Mbps router, but I
>> am not finding any listings in the compatibility for Linux for anything
>> that matches the Linksys, Belkin, or D-Link Model numbers I was considering
>> to match that speed.
>>
>> Should any of those with at least 300 Mbps USB adapters work without much
>> difficulty, that is, are there drivers that will work with only needing to
>> download and install the correct one?
>>
>> This will be on a system with a 32 bit OpenSuSE 11.x. I will probably go
>> to 12 in the next few weeks.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom

Tom Williamson