[olug] Murmur in Fedora 16

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 05:19:28 UTC 2011

Murmur is an open source voice chat server like Teamspeak or Ventrillo.

It has a pre-packaged sqlite that comes with it. The documentation says you
shouldn't need to do anything, as it should just work out of the box. And
as this is a shipped package with Fedora, I'd assume the package should
mostly work out of the box.

I can make the file writable by a non-root user, but I'm not sure what user
the daemon should end up running as. Non-root users don't have access to
the log file, and it won't start as root. The service bundled with the
Fedora package is an old init script, not one of the new systemd scripts.
I'm wondering if I just need to update it.

It seems like the shipped package won't even start out of the box. Fedora
doesn't have any additional documentation for Murmur on their end, and the
official Murmur documentation hasn't been very helpful.

I was curious if anyone on the list has either run Murmur, or converted an
old init script to a new systemd script for Fedora 16.