[olug] More than 2 monitors

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Wed Dec 14 04:54:10 UTC 2011

There was a recent discussion on the list about dual head displays.  Well
that made me greedy, so I've been trying to add a third but with no
success.  My box is a Dell Vostro and I've got an Nvidia card in it already
PCI-x that is doing dual head (1-vga, 1-dvi).  So I order up a PCI based
8500 card and install it but no joy.  The bios recognized the card and
would offer to let you set on-board, PCI-x or PCI as the primary.   No joy.
  (I've tried and failed getting the on-board intel chipset to play with
the nvidia pci-x card too.)

So my question is, does anyone on the list have more than two monitors
going in a single X server set up?  If so, what are you using and how are
you doing it?

I went looking on the nets for displaylink cards and monitors but while I
see nvidia, matrox and ati all have cards w/ more than 2 and linux drivers,
the results found are inconclusive to how it works.  Not much info on
displaylink and linux currently.  Am I just looking in the wrong places?

--
Best,

Jeff Hinrichs
402.218.1473