[olug] Basic cheap local hosting?

SndChaser sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Mon Dec 5 17:18:02 UTC 2011

Actually, right now Cox's two year Business Internet Starter contracts
are going for $75.05/mo.  That really isn't far off what I'm already
paying, but it only has 1 IP address and is 5Meg down, 1Meg up -- my
current seems to get 7Meg down, 1Meg up.  If I dumped the cable TV, this
would end up being cheaper.

George

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 02:24:39 -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
> Maybe less if sign a 5 year contract.
>
> On Sunday, December 4, 2011, Jason N <dashrender at cox.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure cox can force you into anything, but I do know they
>> block
> inbound port 80 and port 25.
>>
>> A business line if you want to host from home costs about $89/mnth.
>> If
> you already pay for a the highest level of service with Cox this
> won't be
> much more than you are already paying.
>>

>> ---- "T. J. Brumfield" <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was under the impression that Cox won't offer a static IP with
>> home
>> internet, so you have to a pay a fortune for business internet.
>>
>> I have considered looking a dynamic DNS service, but I heard that
>> Cox will
>> force you into business internet if they detect your hosting a web
>> server.
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Lou Duchez <lou at paprikash.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I went for years from one hosting company to another, and in each
>>> case,
> at
>>> some point tech support failed me mightily.  At the last company,
>>> after a
>>> seventeen-day server outage because I couldn't get past tier one
>>> tech
>>> support, I resolved to host my own site.  Just about any old
>>> computer
> will
>>> run Linux well enough for a low-bandwidth site, and now when I need
>>> contact tech support, the guy may be a jerk but he takes my
>>> problems
>>> seriously.  It's been five years now and I haven't looked back.
>>>
>>> I assume you've got DSL or cable at home; how much to add a static
>>> IP
>>> address?  If static is too pricy, you can always get dynamic DNS
>>> thru
>>> www.dyn.com or elsewhere.
>>>
>>>  I need to host a low bandwidth Wordpress site. Really, I don't
>>> need

> the

> single

>> --
>> "I'm questioning my education
>> Rewind and what does it show?
>> Could be, the truth it becomes you
>> I'm a seed, wondering why it grows"
>> -- Pearl Jam, Education

We need to heed the words of the Dalai Lama,
Or at least, the words of your mama.