[olug] Verizon 4G

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Thu Aug 18 20:58:54 UTC 2011

I very much agree.

We have been very lucky for the last decade, in the mid nineties larger carriers (ATT, MCI, etc) built massive backbones to carry internet style traffic. This over abundance of throughput allowed for the cheep sale of internet connections.

I believe that we will have an internet crisis that will probably lead to another dotCom crash in 3-5 years.  More and more services going onto the web, using more and more of the bandwidth, and because of the economy nearly no companies are installing additional hardware for future expansion.  We will see a point where we just run out of bandwidth.  This is no different than the Oil supply getting spread thinner and thinner and the prices going up.

---- Sam Tetherow <tetherow at shwisp.net> wrote:
Not counting grandfathered contracts, I think the only provider still
offering unlimited data is Sprint.

Within the next 5 years I think you will be hard pressed to find any
provider (mobile or fixed) that will provide truly unlimited data.