[olug] Nagios or ?

Hurley, Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Fri Aug 5 13:37:59 UTC 2011

Ok, so we are struggling to find a mgmt/monitoring product that does everything, inexpensively.  The pipe dream right?  We were considering foglight because it contains netflow stuff, but then it is not capable of WMI monitoring yet.

Then the topic turned to Nagios and we have heard good things about it, but we heard getting it installed and configured can be very difficult.  So what do you guys/gals think?

Here are our requirements:

*         We need something that can support Windoze and Solaris, andyou don't need linux experts to manage it.  About 200 devices to monitor.

*         We would like it to have a dashboard that is entry-level admin friendly.  i.e. A red light on serverX that shows an issue, and they can drill down to find out what/why.  NOT looking for something with "wireshark-ish" logs that need expert eyes to interpret.

*         Obviously need email alerting (that works.)

*         Must monitor WMI (Win mgmt interface) items like event log, services, etc.   Even better, be able to stop/restart svcs right from there.

*         Initial cost and ongoing support are reasonable, not phenomenally high.

*         NO FALSE POSITIVES.  Ok, so 1 or 2 are ok, but don't tell me my entire site is down at 2 am, only to find out it's a false alarm.  Current monitoring software is just not cutting it.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rod Hurley, SCSE, SQSVA
Tenaska, Inc.
P402-758-6187