[olug] Power Cost comparison on firewall boxes

Aric aric at omahax.com
Thu Aug 4 07:09:34 UTC 2011

The FoxConn has a PCI slot needed for the additional NIC.

If you are running an IDS, VPN, Squid, etc, I'd recommend a $100ish dell
poweredge 1850 off ebay.
The power cost might be a bit higher but with that you get dual server grade
gigabit NICs, 10 or 15k SCSI drives in hardware raid 1, ECC ram, redundant
PSUs, 4GB or so of ram and maybe a DRAC.

IMO paying more money for a system designed to be used as a low end user
terminal for a firewall to save $35 a year in electricity probably isn't
worth it.