[olug] Drive letter assignments

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Thu Apr 14 03:43:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Kevin D. Snodgrass
<kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Really?  Then why do I have lp0, lp1, lp2 and lp3 on a machine with no parallel ports?  (OK, it does have 1, but it is disabled in BIOS.  Haven't printed anything via lpX in YEARS.  Do still have an HP LaserJet Series II on the shelf...)

[Snip: /dev/lp* entries]

I honestly have no idea.  I know a (very) little bit about udev's
history, and I've used it enough in the past to have a basic
understanding of how it works and what it does, but I'm by no means an
expert.

However:

topher at nexus:~$ uname -r
2.6.32-2-amd64
topher at nexus:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid
topher at nexus:~$ ls -lh /dev/lp*
ls: cannot access /dev/lp*: No such file or directory

Perhaps it's a difference in installed software or distribution?

--
Christopher