[olug] [OT] Cell phone carrier questions...

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:56:50 UTC 2011

That is true to an extent. My wife has a rooted Android phone with the
Cynanogen mod providing the wifi for this very email. However AT&T claims
they can tell when jailbroken iPhones do tethering and they force those
users into paid tethering plans. The assumption is they just target phone
users with massive uniterrupted blocks of data usage.
On Apr 8, 2011 4:11 PM, "Christopher R. White" <slaeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, for what it's worth, a rooted phone can be tethered without paying
for
> tethering as an option and then there is no cap. . .
> On Apr 8, 2011 4:10 PM, "Christopher R. White" <slaeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From my experience with Verizon, the actual phone data plan is unlimited.
>> Tethered phones have a 2 gig cap strictly for tethering and the usb
> dongles
>> have a 5 gig cap. As for the 14 day try before you buy, there is no fine
>> print, just gotta haggle with the sales rep to say ok sometimes. . .
>>
>> Chris from Kearney
>> On Apr 8, 2011 3:52 PM, "Dan Linder" <dan at linder.org> wrote:
>>> I'm getting close to the end of my Sprint contract and I'm looking
around
>>> bit. (For what it's worth, I live in the Bellevue area.)
>>>
>>> I have some questions about peoples experiences with carriers:
>>> * My wife and I have been thinking about a Verizion Droid phone, but
I've