[olug] How to force internal HDD to be sda?

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 17:49:47 UTC 2010

--- On Tue, 9/14/10, Trent Melcher <trentm at q.com> wrote:
> Here is an old article but might
> point you in the right direction,  it talks
> about using the UUID of the disks since those don't change
> across reboots.
>
> http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/146951
>
> Trent

Nope, that is talking about using UUIDs for mounting purposes.  Notice I didn't meantion /dev/sda1, but /dev/sda.

I want the device nodes to remain consistant.  I don't always have the external drive(s) attached and this screws up other things that must be pointed to a specific device special file in /dev, i.e. /dev/sda.  These other things don't really care where a partition is mounted as filesystems, partitions, mount points, UUIDs, etc. are meaningless...

Kevin D. Snodgrass