[olug] Asterisk Support Needed

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Sep 1 05:34:37 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:22:58 am Kenny Kant wrote:
>   Not to kill the thread here but what are you plans for an "open source
> cell tower" are talking about attempting something like this in Omaha or
> are you on the team setting up OpenBTS again at Burning man.  Just
> curious as I know the FCC rules for such a things are very strict which
> would make setting up anything in a populated area hard / impossible to
> do at this time.  However I think OpenBTS is very cool and wanted to
> throw in my vote for interest in it.

I see it as more of a project on par with (or maybe slightly more than) the
Colo we tried to setup a while ago. With proper funding, I think it's quite
practical to get the FCC licenses and OpenBTS-based hardware to start a new
cellular company (or non-profit org even). Probably the catch would be that
OpenBTS is strictly GSM only, and has no 3G support, let alone 4G.

I wonder if it would be legal to allow competitor SIMs to authenticate just
once and send an advertisement text or something before kicking them back to
their own provider... ;)
Although it would probably have an inverse effect, pissing people off... :/