[olug] What year did you do this: "embedded Linux wireless router"

Matthew G. Marsh olug4mgm at paktronix.com
Sun Oct 31 01:27:58 UTC 2010

Check out the link - the interesting part of this is that there is a
patent troll trying to enforce a patent they made back in 2000 for a
"wireless embedded linux router"

http://the-edge.blogspot.com/2010/10/who-invented-embedded-linux-based.html

I am submitting some advertising we had for PakSecured (called Guardian
Linux back then) that spoke about wireless capabilities. I thought the
group here may have some business/legal "memories" they could also submit
as prior art.

While I dislike patent trolls, I really hate ones who try to "patent" open
source and then use against others. I do not mind RedHat or IBM patenting
such things with the specific universal permanent license granted to open
source users but these people boil me.

How's things going for you? I really need to get to some meetings and say
hi to all again. I feel like such a troll nowadays...

mgm

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Rob Townley wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Matthew G. Marsh
> <olug4mgm at paktronix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Paul Greunke - who some of you may remember as my alter ego at Paktronix
>> back in the 90s and early 00s sent me the quoted email below. Check out the
>> link first. I will be lending my support to this as I did have wireless
>> support in PakSecured back in 1998.
>>
>> ---inc---
>>
>> LinuxWorld 1998 - Tom Davis took us to Frys and we purchased the Wavelan
>> cards which I still have. So we had it running in spring or summer of 1998.
>> Wavelan predated 802.11b they were not even real 802.11 anything - mostly
>> proprietary. about 1 meg a second as I recall but we only ever got a few
>> hundred kb - still amazing to sit on the porch and connect.
>>
>> Sad but true that the world is becoming a patent troll paradise...
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Paul Greunke wrote:
>>
>>> Who invented the embedded Linux based wireless router?
>>>

>> http://the-edge.blogspot.com/2010/10/who-invented-embedded-linux-based.html
>>

>>> Original author of "Arlan Wireless Howto" deposed because of patent
>>> #7035281, filed September 13, 2000.
>>>
>>> Wan't this a feature of PakSecured Linux prior to 9/13/2000??? Just
>>> thinking about those 11b cards we had.
>>
>> ---end---

> WaveLan advertised connecting over several miles back then, how far
> away could you be?

Matthew G. Marsh
Special Email Addr for OLUG ;-}
Phone: (402) 932-7250