[olug] Debian (Ubuntu): SysV init vs. Upstart

Jay Hannah jhannah at mutationgrid.com
Wed Oct 27 20:47:09 UTC 2010

Fascinating. Hadn't noticed this before it popped up yesterday on our odlug.org "community development server." Apparently Debian and Ubuntu grew tired of System-V init ("traditional" /etc/init.d) just working fine forever and ever and are adopting Upstart as a replacement?

Anyone else using distros where /etc/init.d/ is full of sym links to upstart-job?

   http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

( Far more specifically, but I already worked around the problem: Anyone else hit this crazy thing? start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused )

Or perhaps everybody but me has known about Upstart for years?  :)

Thanks,

Jay Hannah
Software Architect
jhannah at mutationgrid.com | http://mutationgrid.com | 1-402-598-7782

--------------------------------
Debian 5.0.4
--------------------------------
jhannah at li109-243:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
5.0.4
jhannah at li109-243:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
[sudo] password for jhannah:
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service mysql start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start mysql
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
jhannah at li109-243:~$ sudo service mysql start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service mysql start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start mysql
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

    ...? huh. screw it.

$ sudo mysqld --user mysql
--------------------------------

----------------
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
----------------
jhannah at li118-245:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid
jhannah at li118-245:~$ cat /etc/issue.net
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
jhannah at li118-245:~$ ls -al /etc/init.d/mysql
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Aug 21 23:58 mysql -> /lib/init/upstart-job
jhannah at li118-245:~$ head -4 /etc/init.d/mysql
#!/bin/sh -e
# upstart-job
#
# Symlink target for initscripts that have been converted to Upstart.