[olug] network printer

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 07:47:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Curtis LaMasters
<curtislamasters at gmail.com> wrote:
> What OS are you running?
>
> Curtis LaMasters
> http://www.curtis-lamasters.com
> http://www.builtnetworks.com
>

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM, adam davis <radamdavis at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to go about accessing different things in the
>> network?
>> Because I am new converted user of Linux and just don't know my way around
>> just quite yet.
>> Thank you
>>
>> </Adam>
>>

>> In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
>>
>> people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

NetworkManager has improved a great deal,
but still does not do everything i need to do all the time.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to write about the file i can
never remember where
it is at when i absolutely need it right now.
/usr/share/doc/initscripts*/sysconfig.txt.
It may be way way more than what you are asking about.  i need that
file as a reference
when manually configuring ifcfg-ethX files and you just gave me an
opportunity to help
me remember where it is at.

Assuming your using something that is based on the Linux Standard Base (LSB),
then you should still have some form of system initialization scripts
and documenation
about initialization scripts under /usr/share/doc/.  But that might be
a lie tomorrow.
It also may be a lie on ubuntu systems.  Anyway, this file documents a
whole bunch
of great stuff when your system boots, some of which is probably archaic.

$ ls /usr/share/doc/initscripts-9.12.1/
changes.ipv6  ipv6-6to4.howto    README-init         sysconfig.txt
COPYING       ipv6-tunnel.howto  static-routes-ipv6  sysvinitfiles

Not the easiest place to start, but authoritative is that sysconfig.txt file,
which on my Fedora system is under /usr/share/doc/initscripts*/, but maybe
it is just under /usr/share/ on yours.  Maybe it doesn't even exist on yours.
It documents a great deal of system configuration stuff, one of which
is networking.
Search for network and ifcfg- in that file for raw info on manually
setting up your
Cat5 and a few aspects of WiFi nics, but stick to Cu.

Modify some of the network scripts such as
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post and ifup-routes mentioned in
sysconfig.txt
so these scripts output logging information and you will learn a great deal.

If you want to manually set an ip address or do advanced routing, then
look at the documentation under
/usr/share/doc/iproute*/ .  ifconfig and route commands are outdated,
but should still work for many things.

Alexey Kuznetov's classic ip command reference is
/usr/share/doc/iproute-doc-2.6.33/ip-cref.ps
which came from the iproute-doc package on Fedora 13.
i had to get it by "yum search iproute;  yum install iproute-doc".
ps2pdf that postscript file and read it.  Or don't and just play with
the following commands:

ip help
ip addres
ip neighbor
ip route

Firewall stuff is done with iptables -L.
Turn the safety off by /etc/init.d/iptables stop   and chkconfig
iptables off to make that permanent.

#Think you installed apache, but want to see if it has port 80 open?
#Tells you which processes have what ports on what ip addresses open.
netstat -tunap

nmap the network printer and figure that out so you can print out
ip-cref.ps.pdf.

Or skip everything above and immediately try the following:
lpr -P   PutYourPrinterIPaddressOrNameHere
/usr/share/doc/iproute-doc-2.6.33/ip-cref.ps
If your printer isn't PostScript capable, then pull the paper tray and
hit job cancel.  Try a short plain text file.