[olug] [OT] anDroid recommendations HP Palm WebOS?

Timothy Goshinski tgoshinski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 00:31:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> phone died.  Looking to get an android for Verizon/Alltel.  Have a
> great plan from Alltel for tethering.
> ME:       Want to do everything that i do with my existing phones.
> Verizon: Yep, you can do that with no changes to your plan.
> ME:       Everything!:))) Really, no changes!  :))))
> Verizon: Everything:)
> ME:       Well, i notice that some of these Droid's have mobile
> wireless hotspot.  i don't need to create a hotspot, i just need to
> tether.
> Verizon:  You can't tether, you have to pay an additional
> $20.00/month/phone for tethering  ~~~ $215.00/month.  (We pay too much
> already - mostly for tethering.)
> ME:        :((( i tether with my existing phone.  You said my plan
> does not change, so do you have a android that tethers without
> creating a hotspot.
> Verizon:  No. You have to have mobile wifi hotspot added to your account.
> ME:        :(( ;(  But we had tethering added to both phones years ago.
>
> The $0.00  Linux based HP Palm WebOS could be ok as well, but i don't
> know know much about it.  Anybody really like it?
>
> So there is a $250 price difference and since this would be two
> phones, upto $500.00 we really do not have.  Anybody have some strong
> feelings about the following.  i would like to write some java apps.
> Syncing Calendar, ToDo List, and AddressBook is a must have which we
> pretty much do already with our shared gmail account.
>
> The LG Ally (reconditioned) is "free" with two year contract, but seen
> some nasty reviews.  Verizon rep says it is stuck at the 2.1 version
> of the OS.
>
> Price with 2 year committment:
> $0.00      Palm® Pixi™ Plus  (Palm WebOS, NOT android.  All others
> anDroid.)
> $0.00      LG Ally Droid reconditioned
> $49.99    LG Ally Droid (new)
> $79.99    MOTOROLA DEVOUR™ with MOTOBLUR™
> $99.99    DROID by Motorola (Certified Pre-Owned)
> $99.99    DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Certified Pre-Owned)
>
> $149.99  DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC
> $149.99  DROID 2 by MOTOROLA
> $149.99  DROID X by MOTOROLA (Certified Pre-Owned)
>
> $179.99  Motorola Droid PRO  (when available -maybe now, maybe not now)
> $199.99  DROID X by MOTOROLA
> $199.99 DROID 2 Global by MOTOROLA
> $199.99 Samsung Fascinate™ a Galaxy S™ phone
>
> $249.99 DROID R2D2 by MOTOROLA

I've had my HTC Incredible from Verizon for about 2 weeks now and I liken it
to some really top drawer crack cocaine.  With SL4A I even have a
Python/Perl/Lua interpreter that has script access to the camera, GPS, etc.

My wife seems to be equally happy with her Droid 2, but she mostly likes the
little bubble-popping games.

--
"I believe the figure 1 1/16 will be sufficiently accurate for poetry" -
Charles Babbage