[olug] OT: PSA

Dan Anderson dan-anderson at cox.net
Wed Nov 3 01:04:49 UTC 2010

We are certainly a 2 party system - which is a type of plurality
voting system characterized by elections that are generally between
people of 2 parties.

Suggesting that we are not a 2 party system because we have a
plurality voting system is like suggesting that a dog is not a canine
because it is a mammal .

Be that as it may - my point was that exactly what you would expect in
a 2 party system would be contests between, more or less, 2
people/parties.

If we don't have more then 2 candidates - I don't see any point to
Condorcet voting other then to complicate the process.  Really, the
bar to get on the ballot isn't really that high here.  It's possibly a
chicken and egg thing to some degree, but until/unless we had a viable
third party - it doesn't seem useful to complicate things.

I suspect that some of the reason for the lack of competition in some
races here is due, IMO, to too many positions being partisan elected
positions. As I recall, Assessor, Clerk, Sheriff and Treasurer were
uncontested on my ballot.  I'm not sure that there is a point to any
of those being partisan contests.  I'm also not entirely convinced
that they all shouldn't just be employees and not elected officials.

Dan